Because CCPs improve the quality of many building materials while creating both cost and environmental benefits, Charah actively develops markets for the beneficial use of CCPs.
Finding alternative uses for fly ash
Utilizing fly ash in concrete and other products not only eliminates the need to dispose of fly ash in landfills but also conserves our natural resources by substituting for materials that would typically be mined. In addition, the beneficial use of CCPs can meet Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) program requirements.
Charah is currently marketing fly ash in multiple states for:
- Partial replacement of cement in concrete and concrete products including block, pipe and wet cast products.
- Flowable fill projects including filling old sewer pipes and underground tanks instead of excavating for replacement.
- Bagging of dry materials for use in the do-it-yourself market including concrete repair, patching and new surface applications.
- Soil stabilization for bearing capacity improvement.
- Solidification and drying of non-toxic wastes for delivery to approved landfills.
Charah also offers to design and install dry ash conversion systems for fly ash to support the development of ash marketing programs and to eliminate wet slurry ash handling systems.
Marketing bottom ash processing to the construction industry
Charah has a proven track record as a successful marketer of processed bottom ash products to the construction industry. Charah designs, builds and operates processing systems that produce highly customized beneficiated aggregates from coal fired bottom ash. With a variety of different coal sources being utilized across the utility industry, Charah understands how to evaluate, process and successfully market the different bottom ash products in order to achieve the highest value for a given market area.
Charah processed bottom ash is currently being marketed in multiple states for:
- Class 1A Backfill
- Pipe Bedding/Drainage Medium
- Lightweight Aggregate For:
- Lightweight Concrete Block
- Precast Concrete Products
- Lightweight Concrete Mix
- Construction Fill Material
- Traction Control Material
- Lightweight Flowable Fill Mixtures
Providing gypsum management & marketing
Charah provides both gypsum management and marketing to assist our clients in securing the maximum value from their gypsum products. Whether the plant has committed capital resources to manufacture a wallboard-grade gypsum or it produces a slightly different quality gypsum product, Charah has expertise in matching the market need with the quality of the gypsum produced by the host power plant. Charah can assist the host plant in modifying the gypsum handling equipment to improve the quality of the finished product which opens up additional market opportunities. Charah will manage the onsite gypsum storage to preserve quality and value in the product, and then provide the logistics to deliver the product to our customer base with the most economical transport mode. We currently ship gypsum using barge, rail and truck to deliver value to the end user and to our utility clients. Charah will also partner with our customers to install capital equipment to allow the gypsum products to effectively feed into the customer material handling systems.
Whether your needs are gypsum handling, logistics, or sales and marketing, Charah is prepared to deploy our expertise, capital and innovation to deliver the maximum value to our customers and to our manufacturers of gypsum products.
Providing full-service solutions with GreenFill™ engineered fill services
Charah also can successfully handle the utility’s engineered fill needs by managing the entire project from beginning to end.
Charah’s GreenFill engineered fill services include:
- Coordination with local, state, federal and client environmental representatives to develop an approved engineered fill site – including CCP characterization, site determination, design, engineering and permitting.
- Construction of engineered fill site.
- Collection and the transportation of CCPs to the engineered fill site, including reclamation from ponds or other storage facilities/areas.
- Placement and compaction of CCPs within the engineered fill site in accordance with approved design criteria.
- Maintenance of dust control practices and exemplary cleanliness in the operating areas during all placement activities.
- Placement of final cover system within the fill site, once achieving final design grade.
Conserving natural resources with GreenFill™
Charah’s GreenFill projects provide an excellent beneficial use opportunity by utilizing CCPs including fly and bottom ash in place of traditional structural fill materials such as soil, gravel and sand. Charah is capable of successfully developing and implementing any engineered fill project while maintaining the highest level of environmental protection and risk management.
GreenFill engineered fill applications facilitate construction for:
- Airport expansion projects
- Commercial building pads
- Industrial parks
- Warehouse facilities, and
- Parking lots